Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Mountains of Florida

I have finally found a spot in Florida where I feel at home. For our spring break trip we went to Torreya State Park, which is only an hour west of us and billed as the "Mountains of Florida". For once I wasn't disappointed. Ignoring the truckload of humidity that boiled up this weekend, hiking through this park did make me feel transported to the Appalachian Mountains.

We camped at the Torreya Challenge primitive camp site on Friday night, and hiked ten miles of the Challenge loop Saturday before coming home. Hopefully we can head back some other weekend and hike the other loop that overlooks the Apalachicola River at times. I'll post some pictures soon.

I also finished The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox tonight, and I feel like it is a must-read for those of you out there looking for a good book. I couldn't put it down, and it's one of those novels that you have a hard time forgetting about when you are done. It certainly caused me to add to my ever-expanding list of books that I want to read. Hopefully the recommendations that I found online for books similar to this one are accurate.

Happy Sunday!

No comments: