Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Recipes

Recently I've been trying in small ways to get back to basics. I cook at home a lot and try to avoid prepackaged items if at all possible. Even though I missed posting this on Earth Day, I thought it would be fun to post some of the recipes I've found where the homemade version beats the prepackaged item hands-down. They are all really easy too.

My next challenge is laundry detergent. I found some recipes on the web, and since the instructions for making liquid detergent are rather daunting I am planning to try the powder version first. Has anyone out there tried this before?



Maple Syrup
Combine 1-3/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover, and cool for 3 minutes. Cool slightly before adding 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp. maple flavoring. Cover for a few minutes before using. Store in the refrigerator.


Taco Seasoning
Mix together 2 T. chili powder, 1 tsp. each cumin and coriander, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder to taste.
Modified from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook (my favorite!)

I usually make this in bulk so I always have it on hand for our go-to meal: burritos.


Spaghetti Sauce
Cook 3 minced garlic cloves in 3 T. olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until fragrant. Stir in a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes and a 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened (15-20 min). Stir in 3 T. minced fresh basil, 1/4 tsp. sugar, and salt to taste.
Again, The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook


General Cleaner
In a spray bottle mix 2:1 ratio of vinegar to water. Add a couple drops of a biodegradable dish soap and a couple drops of lemongrass essential oil (antibacterial). This can basically be used anywhere and the vinegar really makes metal fixtures shine.

No comments: